Dry and flaky skin is quite a common problem that stems from different aspects. To treat it effectively and achieve healthy skin it's important to address the underlying cause.
For this reason, in this article by Jess Beauty, we will tell you five causes of dry and flaky skin to solve this problem permanently.
In addition, we propose some solutions, such as using moisturizing products suitable for your skin type, avoiding excessive cleansing and aggression, and protecting your skin from environmental elements that can help prevent and treat sequelae and flaking.
Why is my skin dry and flaky?
As we said, Dry, flaky skin on the face is a common problem for many people at some point in their lives. This condition can be uncomfortable and affect the appearance of the skin.
Here are five common causes of dry, flaky skin:
1. Cold, Dry Weather
One of the most prevalent factors for dry, flaky skin on the face is cold, dry weather. During the winter, low humidity in the air can strip the skin of its natural moisture, resulting in dryness and flaking.
Cold winds can also exacerbate this problem by damaging the skin barrier and moisture. Prolonged exposure to these climatic factors can make the skin feel tight, rough, and scaly.
2. Excessive or Aggressive Cleansing
Excessive use of strong or aggressive cleansers can damage the skin barrier, which is responsible for retaining moisture in the skin.
Dry, flaky skin can be the result of excessive removal of natural oils from the skin due to improper cleansing. Choosing mild, non-irritating cleansers is essential to maintaining the skin's moisture balance and preventing dryness.
3. Lack of Moisture
Skin hydration comes not only from the products we apply externally but also from the internal hydration balance. Not drinking enough water can have a direct impact on the appearance and health of your skin.
Dehydration can make skin feel rough, tight, and prone to flaking. Staying well hydrated from within is essential to maintain skin hydration.
4. Unsuitable Cosmetic Products
Using the wrong skin care products can exacerbate dryness and flaking on the face. Some products contain ingredients that can be irritating to sensitive skin, leading to dehydration and redness.
It's important to choose products formulated for dry or sensitive skin and avoid those that contain fragrances or alcohol, as these can worsen the condition.
5. Aging and Loss of Natural Oils
As we age, the skin tends to produce less natural oils, which can lead to dryness and flaking. The decrease in sebum and collagen production can make the skin more vulnerable to moisture loss.
This can result in a compromised skin barrier and the appearance of dryness and flaking.
How to treat dry skin?
Combating dry, flaky skin on the face requires a combination of care and changes to your daily routine. Therefore, we tell you some strategies to deal with this problem:
- Regular Moisturizing: Apply a moisturizer for dry skin suitable for your skin type twice a day, morning and night. Look for products that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and ceramides, which help maintain hydration.
For an instant recovery of your skin's moisture after exercise, you can complement your beauty routine with the Post Workout Gel Mask.
- Gentle Cleansing: Use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser to cleanse your face. Avoid astringent or harsh ingredients cleansers that can dry out the skin. Try Face Reset Cleanser by Jess Beauty, formulated with squalene and coconut-derived ingredients.
- Moderate Exfoliation: Perform a light exfoliation once or twice a week to remove dead cells and promote cell renewal. Avoid excessive exfoliation, as it can aggravate dryness.
- Short, Warm Baths and Showers: Hot water can remove natural oils from the skin, exacerbating dryness. Opt for shorter showers and with lukewarm water instead of hot.
- Avoid Rubbing the Skin: When drying your face after washing it, avoid rubbing the towel on the skin. Instead, pat dry to avoid irritating the skin.
- Use Humidifiers: Use humidifiers indoors, especially during winter, to keep the humidity level in the air and prevent your skin from drying out.
- Daily Sunscreen: Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an adequate SPF, even on cloudy days. UV rays can damage dry skin and make flaking worse.
- Drink Enough Water: Maintain adequate hydration by drinking enough water throughout the day to improve skin hydration from within.
- Natural Oils: Some natural oils, such as jojoba oil or argan oil, can be beneficial in moisturizing dry skin. Use them sparingly.
- See a Dermatologist: If dryness and flaking persist or worsen, consider seeing a dermatologist. A professional can provide you with personalized recommendations and treatments.
Remember that results can take time, so be consistent in your care routine and adjust products and habits as needed.
Products to treat dry and flaky skin
The choice of products to treat dry, flaky skin on the face can vary based on individual needs and preferences.
However, here is a list of some types of products that are often effective in treating dry, flaky skin:
- Mild Cleansers
- Intensive Moisturizing Creams
- Moisturizing and Nourishing Serums
- Natural Oils
- Gentle Scrubs
- Moisturizing masks
- Moisturizing Sunscreens
Remember that the key is to find products suitable for your skin type and specific needs. When incorporating new products into your routine, it's a good idea to test a small area before using it all over your face, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Also, remember that you should always use high-quality and certified products. We invite you to get to know Jess Beauty's skincare line products, designed under the highest quality standards. Discover a new way to pamper your skin with Jess Beauty.