Squalene is an organic compound found in several natural sources, including olive oil, rice oil, and sugarcane oil. Although it is also found in human skin, its production declines with age, which can lead to dry, dehydrated skin.
However, by using products that contain squalene, we can take advantage of the properties they provide for skin care. Learn about the benefits of using this powerful ingredient from Jess Beauty.
One product, five benefits
As we said, squalene is an organic compound found naturally in various sources, including plants, animals, and the human body.
This compound is used in various fields, including the food, pharmaceutical, and cosmetic industries.
Concerning cosmetics, squalene is highly appreciated in skin care products due to its moisturizing, antioxidant, and emollient properties.
In other words, it helps keep the skin hydrated, soft and supple, and, thanks to its antioxidant properties, protects the skin from oxidative stress caused by free radicals and other harmful environmental factors.
Here we tell you about the 5 benefits of using products that contain squalene:
1- Deep hydration
One of the main benefits of squalene is its ability to hydrate the skin deeply. Unlike other moisturizing ingredients, squalene is very similar to the skin's natural lipids, allowing it to easily penetrate the deeper layers.
Doing it helps keep moisture in the skin, preventing dryness and flaking. In addition, squalene creates a protective barrier on the skin that prevents moisture loss, leaving it soft, supple, and radiant.
2- Antioxidant Properties
Another benefit of squalene is its antioxidant capacity. Antioxidants are crucial in protecting the skin from oxidative stress caused by free radicals and other damaging environmental factors.
Squalene neutralizes free radicals, preventing cell damage and premature skin aging. By reducing oxidative stress, squalene helps maintain a healthy, youthful appearance and may also help diminish the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
3- Restores the Skin Barrier
The skin barrier is a protective layer that maintains hydration and protects the skin from external aggressions. However, factors like sun exposure, harsh chemicals, and hormonal changes can weaken this barrier, leading to dry, sensitive skin.
Squalene can help restore and strengthen the skin barrier by providing essential lipids. In doing so, it helps retain moisture, reduces moisture loss, and improves skin's resistance to irritants and environmental damage.
4- Light and non-greasy texture
Unlike some oils and moisturizers, squalene has a light, non-greasy texture, making it an excellent choice for all skin types, including oily and acne-prone. Its light texture is quickly absorbed into the skin without leaving a heavy or sticky feeling.
This makes it a versatile ingredient that can be used in face and body care products, as well as makeup. Plus, squalene is non-comedogenic, which means it won't clog pores or cause breakouts.
5- Soothes Sensitive and Irritated Skin
If you have sensitive or irritated skin, squalene can be your ally. Its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties help soothe the skin and reduce irritation and inflammation.
Squalene can be especially beneficial for people who suffer from skin conditions such as eczema or dermatitis, as it provides intense hydration without aggravating sensitivity.
By incorporating squalene-containing products into your skincare routine, you can help restore balance and calm for your skin.
What skin care products contain squalene?
Squalene has become increasingly popular in the skincare industry and can be found in many products. Here are some examples of skin care products that may contain squalene:
- Serums: Many moisturizing and anti-aging serums include squalene in their formulation. These serums are usually light and easily absorbed into the skin, providing intense hydration and nourishment.
- Moisturizers: Moisturizers for the face and body often contain squalene as a key ingredient. These creams help keep moisture in the skin, leaving it soft, supple, and protected from dryness.
- Facial oils: Facial oils are excellent options for moisturizing and caring for your skin. Some facial oils include squalene as one of their components to provide deep hydration and improve the overall appearance of the skin.
- Cleansers and makeup removers: Some facial cleansers and makeup removers may also contain squalene. These products help remove makeup, impurities, and excess oil from the skin while providing hydration and nutrition. If you're looking for a premium cleanser that contains squalene, try Jess Beauty's Face Reset Cleanser.
- Sunscreens: You can find squalene in some sunscreens, especially those with moisturizing formulas. This is due to its ability to protect the skin against damage caused by the sun's rays and keep it hydrated.
- Masks: Both sheet and cream masks may contain squalene as part of their formulation. These masks provide intense hydration and nourish the skin, leaving it revitalized and radiant.
Remember that every skin type is different, so you may need to try different products to find the one that works best for you. In addition, you must look for products from trusted brands governed by high standards.
Jess Beauty is one such brand that offers certified Non-GMO, Paraben Free, Cruelty-Free, Animal Test Free, and Vegan products.
When to avoid squalene
Squalene is generally considered safe for topical use on most people because it is a naturally occurring organic compound. However, there may be some contraindications or precautions to be aware of.
For example, some people may be allergic to squalene.
On the other hand, while squalene is considered non-comedogenic and doesn't typically clog pores, in some people with oily, acne-prone skin, it can cause breakouts or worsen acne.
For this reason, it is recommended to perform a patch test on a small area of the skin before using a new product with squalene to ensure no adverse reactions.
Finally, squalene is a powerful natural ingredient that offers many benefits for the skin. From its ability to deeply hydrate to its antioxidant properties and its ability to soothe sensitive skin, squalene is a versatile and effective option to include in your skincare routine.