Peptides are being used more and more in the skin care industry due to their ability to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, two fundamental proteins that help keep skin firm and elastic. Do you want to know more about these powerful molecules? Jess Beauty tells you everything in this article.
Peptides are molecules composed of the union of two or more amino acids through peptide bonds. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, and peptides are the precursors of proteins.
Peptides are found in all human body cells and have many important functions, such as enzyme activity regulation, the transmission of signals between cells, and the repair and maintenance of body tissues.
Types of peptides
There are many different types of peptides, each with a unique amino acid sequence that gives them specific characteristics and functions. Mentioned below are some of the most common types of peptides used in cosmetics and medicine:
- Collagen Peptides: These peptides are derived from collagen and are used in skin care products to improve skin elasticity, reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, and promote the skin's natural collagen production.
- Antimicrobial Peptides: These have antimicrobial properties and are used in skin care products to treat acne and other skin infections.
- Signaling Peptides: These peptides signal skin cells to produce more collagen, elastin, and other proteins, which can improve the appearance and health of the skin.
- Firming Peptides: These peptides help improve skin firmness and elasticity, reducing the appearance of sagging and wrinkles.
- Growth Peptides: These peptides can help stimulate cell growth and skin regeneration, which can be useful for treating scars and other skin conditions.
These are just a few examples of peptides. There are many others with different functions and benefits for the skin.
What is collagen for?
Collagen is a structural protein found in the human body and is essential for the health and appearance of skin, bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. In the skin, collagen helps maintain firmness, elasticity, and hydration. It also plays a key role in cell regeneration and wound healing.
With aging, the production of collagen in the body decreases, which can lead to the appearance of wrinkles, sagging, and other signs of aging skin. For this reason, many skin care products and dietary supplements contain collagen peptides to help improve the health and appearance of the skin.
What is elastin for?
In the skin, elastin works with collagen to maintain the skin's structure and integrity, helping to prevent wrinkles and fine lines. Elastin production in the body decreases over time, contributing to the loss of elasticity and signs of aging on the skin.
Therefore, some skin care products contain elastin peptides, used to improve skin elasticity and firmness and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Elastin peptides can stimulate elastin production in the skin, helping to improve its structure and elasticity.
Why incorporate products with peptides into your skincare routine?
Incorporating peptides into your skincare routine can help improve the overall health and appearance of your skin. Plus, it can be particularly helpful for those looking to prevent or treat the signs of aging.
Among the benefits for the skin include:
- Stimulate collagen production: Peptides can help stimulate this essential protein for the skin's structure, elasticity, and firmness.
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles: Peptides can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating collagen and elastin production and improving skin hydration.
- Improve skin hydration: Some peptides can improve the skin's ability to retain moisture, which can help improve skin hydration and elasticity.
- Lighten dark spots: Some peptides can help lighten dark spots and skin discoloration.
- Protect against free radical damage: Peptides can act as antioxidants and protect skin against free radical damage, leading to premature aging and other skin damage.
Best peptides for skincare
There is not one peptide that is best for skin care, as they have different properties and benefits.
However, some of the most common and effective peptides include the following:
- Copper Peptides: Believed to stimulate collagen and elastin production, reduce inflammation, and increase skin hydration.
- Palmitoyl Peptides: these are commonly used in anti-aging products due to their ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Extracellular Matrix Peptides: mimic the structure of the skin's extracellular matrix and stimulate collagen and elastin production.
- Elastin Peptides: Improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Hexapeptide Peptides: Used in skin care products due to their ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and improve skin texture.
It is important to remember that the effectiveness of peptides depends on many factors, including the concentration and formulation of the product, as well as the quality and purity of the peptides used. Also, results may vary from person to person.
Beauty products that could have peptides
There are more and more products that contain peptides in their formula. Among them, we can find:
- Serums: Peptide serums are very popular due to their high concentration of active ingredients. These serums can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, improve skin firmness, and increase hydration.
- Moisturizers: Peptide moisturizers can help improve skin hydration and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Eye Contour: Peptide-containing eye creams can help reduce dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles around the eyes.
- Masks: Peptide masks can help hydrate and improve the appearance of the skin.
- Cleansers: Peptide cleansers can help remove dirt and impurities from the skin while providing anti-aging benefits.
In short, adding peptides into your skincare routine can help improve overall skin health and appearance. That is why if you want to prevent or treat the signs of aging, you must incorporate peptides into your life.